In the automotive and aircraft industries, adhesives and sealant beads are increasingly being used in bonding body parts, windshields, roof and many other applications. To ensure the quality of assemblies, a robust and reliable inspection of the bead volume and location is essential. So, among the various machine vision solutions available on the market, how would manufacturers choose one that can really deliver a solution that meets their requirements?
The short answer is Predator3D™, the latest 3D bead inspection product of Coherix. Why is it better than other products? Simply put, because of our “5 Musts”, which was specified by our customers as design requirements.
- Compact, no moving parts, robust and crash resistant. The solid aluminum frame withstands impacts. Predator3D delivers accurate inspection even through occasional collisions.
- Totally self-contained at the end of the robot. With i-Cite™ software, embedded-processor and Ethernet communications capabilities, the Predator3D provides complete decision making capabilities within the sensor – no external PC… which requires additional cost and floor space and decreases system reliability.
- Continuous measurement of Bead Volume and Location. With 3D measurement, users not only get width, but also height, volume, and location, which is impossible with other bead inspection products.
- Laser-based, not affected by changes in part color or ambient light. Predator3D does not depend on adhesive to part color contrast for robust operation, and therefore, is not affected by changes in ambient lighting or part colors.
- Price competitive with 2D systems. The cost of ownership of Predator3D is LOWER than other products.